Thursday, January 7, 2010

Rewards of cleaning

As a 'thank you' to my husband, I decided to clean out our filing cabinet. With tax time just around the corner, I knew the dreaded task was due. I am usually a procrastinator about this, preparing for taxes the week or day before we meet with the accountant.

My darling husband had given me a gift certificate for a massage and it was amazing, so I thought I would make his day and get organized. He was very pleased, but I too got a treat.

Many years ago in the Ms. Cheap section of the paper, I clipped a recipe for Homemade Brownie Mix. It was so good & easy. I made it a few times, then lost the recipe. While cleaning I found it in the bottom of the filing cabinet. I plan to mix some up sometime soon.

I thought you might like it too!

Homemade Brownie Mix

6 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 cups cocoa
8 cups sugar
2 cups shortening

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir together the cocoa and sugar. Place mixture in a large pan and mix thoroughly. Cut in shortening. Measure 2 cups at a time into airtight plastic zipper bags. Store in refrigerator until ready to use. Makes about 9 batches of brownie mix.

Making Brownies

2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups brownie Mix

Beat eggs, blend in vanilla and brownie mixture, about 50 strokes by hand. Lightly grease the bottom of an 8 x 8 pan and bake 20 to 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments:

Followers