Thursday, October 2, 2008

Apple Butter Birthday

What do you do when your mother has an abundance of apples and you are out of freezer space? If you are as crazy as I am, you suggest making Apple Butter. Mom, my sister and I spent my birthday together. We made Apple Butter for Christmas gifts. I think everyone we know will be getting some for Christmas. If I can count, and I am not to sure I could that day, we made 21 BATCHES of apple butter. Each batch makes like 6 cups. That would mean 84 pounds of apples, 21 cups of apple cider vinegar, 42 cups of water, 42 cups of sugar, 42 tablespoons of lemon juice, 48 teaspoons of cinnamon, 10 1/2 teaspoons of all spice, and 10 1/2 teaspoons of cumin. Needless to say my kitchen was rather aromatic with all that apple cider vinegar boiling - I thought it would stink for days, but was back to normal by Sunday.

That day was one of the best in a long time. Just the three of us there most of the day. We aren't sure who was in charge that day, none of us had ever made Apple Butter, but found a rather easy sounding recipe. I suppose we all took turns acting like we knew what we were doing. Mom was probably reliving 30 years ago, trying to get her girls to behave and get along. I truly enjoyed being together, especially the laughter,the silliness, the bossiness we all have, the complaining about the other, and the love we have for each other. That is how we are - some would say disfunctional - we would say just being family.

So, if you are our friends - I guess the secret of your Christmas gift has been spoiled. You guessed it - Apple Butter. Maybe you will forget about it by then and it will be a surprise.

You know the funny thing...

I don't even like Apple Butter. But I have found a way to use it that I like....Apple Pinwheels.

No comments:

Followers