Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Time to plant?

Growing up we always had a vegetable garden. We worked in it as a family and enjoyed great vegetables all year long. I remember my dad planted our garden on Good Friday. I am sure we might have planted on other days some years, but for the most part we could count on being in the garden that day.

I am not sure if it was more of tradition - many older people will tell you that is a good day to plant - or if it has more to do with my dad always had that day off from work. No matter the reason - we always had a great garden. There are great memories from that time.

The local UT Extension office, I know since I am there all the time, recommends planting after April 15th. So, I guess we should be safe past any killing frost.

Now to just wait and hope to enjoy some fresh onions, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes and corn.

No comments:

Followers